Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Wrong Again

After talking with a Naturopathic Doctor, lots of searching and Dr. appointments, and ineffective prescriptions, I don't think it was fever blisters.

And they weren't hives on her face. This is what she now has. They aren't blisters, they don't burst open or weep with any fluid like chicken pox (which she already 14 months ago) They aren't rashy, they are like... well, pimples. Except that when they first appear they are super bright red and irritated looking, and they calm down after putting Benadryl cream. So that seems more like an allergic reaction.

And she never had a fever, or any sign of an illness. Her sores on her lips didn't resemble fever blisters in their place or process. They didn't resemble the pattern of Herpangina either. Or Hand/foot/mouth sores. But what she did begin this issue with was swollen lips. But the doctors looked past that, only focused on sores, and treated them as a viral illness.

Except this entire illness has continued to progress instead of getting better, because the medicine constipated her, and made her feel sick. If she ate something that caused a reaction like swollen lips, how is it supposed to process out?

And when the gut becomes clogged with illnesses and toxins, it manifests in acne, eczema, and other skin irritants.

So in combination to a reaction to the medicine, and something that caused an allergic reaction in the first place, all of that makes much more sense than an illness that never showed any of the symptoms of an illness except "sores 'kind of' in the mouth."

We're trying a bland diet with her, no meat and dairy. Just more things like hummus (garbanzo beans), quinoa, and brown rice for protein. Flax seed oil for Omega 3's, Vitamin C sources like Pinapple and Oranges for an antihisthamine, a B vitamin like Bananas or Walnuts for the stressed out adrenal system, lots of probiotics and no sugar. Of any kind other than naturally occuring in fruits.

I feel so bad for her, she is very embarrassed, because children are supposed to have beautiful skin! We went to the natural market last night and another kid asked her what happened to her face. She can't remember how to say "an allergic reaction" so it scares her to go to school. Until yesterday, she has been out of school because no one was sure what was going on and if it was contagious. But it doesn't have any characteristics of being anything contagious.

I remember being super embarrassed to go to school wearing a neckbrace when I was 7 after being in a car accident, and I cringe when I think of her being teased. But what's another 2 days home when it has been this long? Might as well finish out the weekend, hope her skin clears up, and send her off to school feeling much better. Besides, it's kindergarten. And she is the most advanced student in her class. I can hardly picture her teachers holding her back for another year because of excessive absences. And I'm leaning more towards homeschooling next year anyway!

3 comments:

Deb said...

The poor little darling :(

Robinsonfam said...

Awww April, I feel so bad for her and kids can be SO cruel, I would keep her home too. Hope things clear up soon!

A Place To Dream said...

Braxton's skin does this too, he's 4. I think it might be wheat or egg related. The family are all on Onaleigh's healthy diet. But the boys got sugar for valentines from people and they still eat eggs. Consider getting Nutritional Response Testing(ie Muscle Testing)..some chiropractors do it. To see if you can find out what her stressers are. I hope u can find some answers!!!