Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Trying NOT to be Supermom

The kids have a Veggietales CD that we were listening to in the car today (after driving home from a horrible, no good, very bad day.) I was struck with the impression from the spirit a few weeks ago about doing better for my kids first. I was running late, frustrated and feeling overwhelmed as I was putting together things to give service to a friend, and as I'm going about doing this, I found myself yelling at my kids and being short with them. Made sense right? Someone else got my service, and I failed to serve my own children first.

So I was humbled at the call to reality of what is truly important. I want to love my children soulfully. And I've convicted myself to remember this every day, even on the worst and most trying of those days like today seemed to be.

Back to Veggietales. We were listening to the song that says "He is the vine, and we are the branches, his banner over me is love." And so I read to them the bible verse that is from before they went to bed.

"I am the vine, ye are the branches. He that abidith in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit, for without me ye can do nothing... These things have I spoken unto you that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might remain full."
-John 15:5, 11

I'm trying to be more joyful. Men are that they might have joy! And I've got a lot of reasons to celebrate plenty of joy in my life. Then I saw this blog post about Supermom VS. Abiding Mom, and the one that I appreciated most today was this:
"Super mom teaches her kids to be good."
vs
"Abiding mom teaches her kids to be Godly."
So no matter how naughty and rotten Kellan has tested my limits this week (! boy has he!) I want to raise him more to serve God, and through that I know goodness will bear fruit.

1 comments:

Julesmcg said...

Oh my goodness, April. I actually read this a couple weeks ago as well and have been working and praying over being an abiding mom. What a motivation! I think I am a pretty good mom, but reading this made me realize how much I need to work on and trust God for. I have been planning on writing a blog post about this as well. Now I am motivated to do that!