Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Not practical, but it's temporarily functional

I remember reading a book in Elementary school... I have no idea the name of the book, or really what the plot was. But there was a girl who was quirky and different than the rest of the kids. Her parents didn't own a t.v. Or couches for that matter. They had matresses in their living room, and she talked about how much fun it was to have family time sprawled out on matresses playing games and singing songs. When I was little I thought that would be awesome, and I think I might have even tried to convince my mom to ditch the couches.


I since changed my mind as an adult who loves furniture and home decor as much as just about anything. Well, we have an arm chair which matches our sofa, both of which are quickly becoming pieces of crap! James is, well... a big dude. And he doesn't just sit nicely. He PLOPS, then swings one leg over the arm of the chair, and gets fully relaxed in an awkward position. This sideways sitting has stretched the frame of the chair apart, and staples were poking out where they should have been secured to the front frame of the chair. The cushion is beyond flattened, re-padded, and flattened again. It is horrid. There was no point to get new cushions made when it was beyond repair in and of itself. Bu-bye chair-that-was-supposed-to-be-mine but was taken over by Sir Smelly.

But what is in it's place right now? No, not a super nice massage chair recliner that we ultimately set our goal to get. No, not another arm chair, or a loveseat. Nothing was for that matter. I insisted the smelly hazardous chair be removed RIGHT NOW , it could NOT wait for a replacement.

So I got to thinking... Yes, James would sleep better, and he is preferring to sleep, in a recliner. He is snoring much more these days, and consequently I get about 3-4 hours of broken sleep every night. And the baby STILL does not sleep through the night... not hard to figure out why. So I insisted James be removed too...


No. Not really. But this is what is filling the space in my living room until we can get a recliner for James to be sleeping in.



Yes, I have a twin size bed in my living room. TACKY. But more functional for the need at the moment. I now have a king sized bed all to myself. I totally understand why old people sleep in separate rooms! But I was not going to wait until I was old to finally get decent rest and quit being run-down! Plus James will be resting much better without me punching him to get him to wake up and change positions every 20 minutes of the night!


Anyone have a recliner they would love to throw our way?! :)

7 comments:

Greg said...

that's awful! i sleep horrible when greg isn't in bed with me.
in fact i'm convinced that when we are old we will die at the same time while sleeping in our big fabulous bed.

maybe instead of buying a new recliner, you should invest in that de-snoring surgery.

April said...

His snoring is because of psoriasis in his throat. No surgery for that. So he has chronic apnea because he doesn't breath well while he's sleeping laying down. We both agreed an apnea machine would be no better than the snoring noise-wise. He'd get better sleep, but I wouldn't. Yes, functional is awful sometimes. I'd perfer sleeping next to him too.

April said...

Well, and his weight. He snored even when he was thinner, it's just worse now. But also the psoriasis is worse too.

Ivy said...

I didn't know psoriasis causes snoring? Bus has a snoring problem too, mostly due to weight. He brought home a c-pap machine. It's a really quiet one actually and helps him a lot...when he uses it ;). My problem is I'm not a sound sleeper unless I'm flat out exhausted. The smallest noise will wake me up. I'm investing in ear plugs!

April said...

If I didn't have a baby to listen for I'd invest in ear plugs too. The machine the doc showed James was loud, what's the name of Bus's? His psoriasis irritates his throat all day, when he's not conscience of how he is breathing while asleep it is strained.

Ivy said...

It's a C-pap machine by a company called Resmed. I'd look into it. There is a humidifier that hooks up to it too. The only down side is finding a mask that comfy.

A Place To Dream said...

In the book "Bridge to Terabithia " the girl doesn't have a TV. I read it after watching the movie. So good and it helped to inspire us to get rid of all our TV reception! Oh and I kick hubby out too sometimes. Recently he hurt his back and couldn't sleep on his side(that's what I elbow him to do when he snoores). He ends up sleeping with the boys. Can't stand snooreing!