Friday, June 12, 2009

Sum-yummers

I love summer! I love the farmer's markets! I love my bloomin' garden.

I made a tasty-ness this week that my kids loved, just wanted to share.

3 Cups Broccoli coleslaw (I got it at Trader Joe's)
2 tblsp safflower or olive oil mayonnaise
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
4 tblsp orange juice
1/2 cup craisens
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 fresh ground pepper
1/4 tsp ground ginger

Put in the fridge to chill and let the craisens flavor the coleslaw.

Another my kids love during the summer, they call "Purple Salad"

1 large beet, peeled, then grated in a bowl
2 fuji or gala apples grated (do not peel)
1 large carrot grated (peeling is optional)
1 small lemon squeezed for juice
1/2 cup raisens
1/4 cup natural sugar cane

*chill for 10 minutes for sugar to make the fruit get juicy and yummy.

And our staple in the fridge all summer long: Watermelon Lemonade!
Slice up seedless watermelon, and put it in a blender. Add 1 part water to 3 part watermelon. Sugar to taste, and 1 squeezed lemon per gallon of juice.

4 comments:

4torock said...

yum yum keep em coming!! Or bring to my house:) lol I think I can handle these-- be ready for the July 4 partay and maybe u can bring some of your yummy dishes:)!!

Christa said...

I love your beet salad too. I've been trying to eat beets more lately...in garden salads and I think I'll make some "purple salad" too

amberjill said...

oh, we had watermelon lemonade in Taiwan and I LOVED it! They call it watermelon juice. So yummy!! Oh, and btw, my toes are painted, not stickers. The things they can paint...:)

Ivy said...

yum - I'll have to try them :) thanks!