Monday, June 29, 2009

Keepin' the ER in business


Mama needs a nap. Ok, now I've had my self centered moment. It's really about Max.

The events of today were so bizzarre! He hasn't had any sypmtoms of being sick, no fever, cough or runny nose... NOTHING but a swollen gum from a new tooth! (Yay! #4 this week, oy vey.)

I got home late last night, and went to peek in on him to see how he did his first time with Daddy and bottles. He pops awake and let out a loud barky cough. It made me jump because of the unexpected sound! He was fine when I left earlier that night! He was awake the entire night after that, crying, and wheezing and coughing. Again, no fever.

So 5 AM I woke James up to sit in the bathroom with him while the shower filled the room with steam. It seemed to help, until he left the bathroom. It started all over again. But he got so upset, and was so exhausted, he was crying so hard that he was hyperventilating. He started climbing UP my body, thrashing, and really fighting to get air. SCARY. Pediatricians office doesn't open until 8, and who knows when they can fit ya in, so off to the ER me and little man headed.

They said it was croup, which causes inflammation of the larynx area, not the bronchial, and the swelling compresses and causes the bark and wheeze. They had to give him a nebulizer treatment of racmic epinephrine to decrease the swelling reaction, and an oxygen tube in his little nose :( Then they gave him an oral steroid. They said he should be fine with some tylenol to keep the inflammation down, so I started asking about viruses and croup.

"Well, a number of viruses could cause the reaction, most of which is RSV or Influenza."

Ok, could you find out please, I have a very delicate little boy with a compromised immune system to all things respitory at home, I need to know what he may be at risk for. They did a swab test, came back for RSV. You're kidding! He has no symptoms!

But we went in within the first 12 hours of any issue, so the good news is that it may just be he had an exposure and his body may deal with it appropriately and be on its way. He may not demonstrate symptoms, it was just coincidental that I insisted on a test and sure enough it was positive.

Here's to hoping poor little Max doesn't have any further issues with this. But he did make a lot of girlfriends while there, one nurse after another kept coming in saying "I've heard about this cute baby, I've got to come see."

3 comments:

Deb said...

I don't doubt that all the nurses were oohing and ahhing over him. He's a heartbreaker. What a relief that you caught it that soon. We as moms have to keep our precious cargo safe and sound.

Ivy said...

My boys used to get croup all the time! We spent many a hours in the car driving around the block with the windows down and the heater blasting trying to open up airways. Sorry, but the steroids work a whole lot better! hope little maxamillion starts feeling better soon!

A Place To Dream said...

hugs, so scary!!