Saturday, June 20, 2009

Beat the heat

If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen, right? I'm trying to stay out of it as much as possible every day come dinnertime this summer. My air conditioner might as well be disconnected if I have my oven on at dinnertime in July/August. So I'm planning my time to where I cook in the morning while the kids are outside in the back yard playing.

Today we woke up early and went to the farmer's market, then the beef store near my house for some fresh local cuts of beef. (Antibiotic free! This is the leanest beef I have ever bought, they are pasture fed grass cows, so great.)

So when we got back from errands, I put the baby down for his morning nap, and this is what I cooked with the beef I bought (and cleaned up) in 2 hours:

Italian Meatballs
Sloppy joe meat
Taco meat
Meatloaf
Cowboy Pizza (beef and turkey bacon)
Pizza dough in the kichenaid
Honey Bourbon Ribeyes
Garlic/White wine ribeyes
Spaghetti
Hamburger pattis for the grill
and 1 lb seasoned beef for a quick thing like Annie's Stroganoff kit

Oh. And lunch for the kids too. All of it is nicely filling up my freezer now.

$40 for 10 meals, 2 of which are ribeye steaks! Add with them fresh veggies from the garden during the summer makes for a cheap grocery budget. Who says you can't eat organic cheaply? Ha! And I'm done cooking for the next three weeks pretty much from the chicken meals I made last week.

More time with my babies!

4 comments:

Ivy said...

you need to come cook for me!

A Place To Dream said...

I want to learn how to cook like u! I wish I was your neighbor!

Deb said...

Do you ship across country? What a wondermom. And I was thinking Mac & Cheese for dinner! Way to show me up!!!

April said...

Seriously ladies, I did the whole "cooking dinner every night" and it gets old. Getting the main course cooked for 9 meals took just a little longer than 1 meal would. You're in there, you're cooking anyway. Get some more pots out and bulk it up! I *heart* you Tiffany for showing me the light!