I went grocery shopping today, with all 3 kids (and a friend with her 2 kids as well.) It's always chaotic and, um, interesting when I'm with my kids only, so obviously today was an extra special treat for the associates at the grocery store.
As I'm standing at the meat selections waiting for the butcher to measure and price my requests, there was another younger woman with 3 little girls. 2 of them were squeeling and playing, moving all around, as she waited in line, and the third was wailing in the grocery basket for another snack. It looked just like my crew.
I started to compare. The 3 girls looked like catalog models with their summer accessories. The young woman was tan, in shape, in fashion, texting away on her phone with her manicured nails. And I considered myself -tired looking, hair brushed and pulled into a clip still wet, could stand to lose 15 lbs (atleast!) snapping at my kids for the 50th time to stay with me.
I know better than to compare! I know better than to envy! So I usually pay a compliment, instead of find criticism when I find myself going that self loathing route. I told her how adorable her 3 girls were. And she said "They're not mine, I'm the nanny."
WHEW!
I thought she was a little far fetched to find myself comparing us in similar shoes, even if mine were $2 Old Navy flipflops, and hers were shimmery gold strappy heels. I know I shouldn't have found that to be a victory, but I totally did! And I don't care!
Monday, August 02, 2010
Apples to Apples
Posted by April at 10:37 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
LOL...that's awesome! That puts a little feather in your hat eh? Looks like all your kiddos are doing great...keep up the good work:)
Love it.
Post a Comment