Thursday, August 19, 2010

From the mouths of babes

Maren and Kellan were getting ready to walk to their friend's house today, and Kellan was nervous that I wasn't going to walk with them this time. So Maren, in her attempts to assure her little brother that she can handle it, says "Kellan, I already feel like a grown up, isn't that amazing?"

Boy, she has never spoken truer words.

Kellan was telling me a story yesterday as he was pretending to read a book. It was about a dragonfly that had a knife-butt (a stinger, like a bee.) But his name was Master Splinter (love the Ninja Turtles throw back there!) And I mocked a surprised face and asked what was coming next as he was trying to build suspense. In his gentleman tone he says "Don't worry mama, it's just fake believe."

Max is into climbing, and summer saulting off of and over everything. Today, as he is facing head down over the arm of the chair, I ask him "Maxwell, do you have a desire to split your head open?" To which he says in his baby-almost-a-toddler voice "Yes. Okay mama, yes yes yes. " Again, such true words.

When James comes home and asks about my day, I have been in a habit of re-capping all of the drama. This one was fighting with the other, this one threw a fit, dinner was a disaster, something liquid was spilled everywhere. And I realized, he doesn't see them as often as I do, I tend to take for granted the precious moments that he misses out on as I am needing his support for all of those not.so.precious moments of raising children. When it comes down to it, as we sit and reflect on how our kids have changed and grown, I remember the happy moments much more frequently than all of the days that try my patience and sanity. So I need to remember to just let it roll off, God gave us a marvelous gift of a new day every morning to try to be better, and amnesia to forget how difficult some of them are to get through!

2 comments:

4torock said...

:P LOVE it!!

Greg said...

Amen sista!