Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Life lesson # 87,493

The saying goes something like "Life will give you the lessons that you need to learn and grow." And usually when you've gone through a trial, you look back at it and with the beauty of hindisght, you realize why you've gone through that, hopefully not repeating it too.

But the trick is to figure out the WHY so you don't have to endure it so long, right? Well, I seem to be surrounded by stupidity. So I'm trying to figure out WHY. It must be that I need to either learn 1) a silent tongue (not my first vote, but I'm willing to consider) or 2) tolerance. Or could possibly 3) being more in-yer-face be acceptable in a lesson to learn? Because I've been going with 3 lately.

When we were in Utah, we stopped at our favorite chain, good ol' Starbucks and picked up hot chocolate for everyone back at G'ma's house. Our order was for *12 drinks,* and the girl says to James at the window "Would you like a drink holder?" And blinked ever so innocently. I couldn't keep it back, I very clearly said "Uh, yeah, several please." with so much sarcasm that James actually pinched me.

Lets just say for the record, I have always been sarcastic yes, I admit. But rude, no. (ok, occassionally rude. Give me a break.) And lately my nice-people-person filter has seemed faulty. I've stuck my foot in my mouth way too many times recently, called many on their bluffs in a not so nice way, and I have had to distance myself from several people to refrain from saying what I really want to say! So if you've noticed a decline in our conversations, it could just be nothing, or it could be my way of not wanting to hurt your feelings. This has not been a fun lesson to be learning, so I apoligize in advance.

3 comments:

Supershepherds said...

I'm impressed by your humility. Too bad we didn't learn that lesson fully back when we discovered we were assigned to visit teach the girl at church who's hair we made fun of.

April said...

Ok, that totally made us learn a lesson about being catty! Speaking of, did you hear the girls behind you when we were at Josh's ward for the baby blessing? They reminded me of US! Except down right mean!

But this isn't just about girls, I don't feel I'm being catty. I've just lost my filter to think before I talk in too many situations. "Call it how I see it" is just slipping out too quickly sometimes.

Deb said...

The girl at Starbucks deserved a shout out for "here's your sign"! That's freakin hilarious!

I don't see anything wrong with callin it how you see it. The way I see it, this world could stand a little more blunt honesty!