Thursday, December 10, 2009

My 'A-ha' moment

I've been re-reading a favorite book of mine called 'A new Earth' by Ekhart Tolle. And the other night while I was reading my scriptures, a phrase from his book came to mind.

I was reading different passages about the virtues and nature of Jesus Christ, not just his teachings and works. But who HE was as a person. And as I gave thought to what he identified with, which was nothing, it made the guilt of what I identify with seem heavy.

Ekhart Tolle talks about 'Ego' as identification having a form. Meaning, who we 'think' we are is based on what we are surrounded by. I tend to identify with my gender, or being a mother, or my religion, my family, my health, my checkbook, my home, and more. We create around us a false reality to allow ego to survive in how it 'thinks' our life should be. And sometimes what we 'think' is reality comes from resentments of what we think we deserve that we see others having. Or what we think others do not deserve.

If you're with me so far, thanks! I promise there is a point.

So in contemplating about how we 'think' I started understanding the wisdom of the commandment "Thou shalt not covet." It isn't because it's mean spirited towards someone else. I mean, it is. But to covet is to establish one person as superior and the other inferior. To judge the fruits of someone else's works against your own. Which in turn, feeds the ego to determine how reality should be to survive the tumultous world that we live in.

So back to Ekhart Tolle's book, he said something that I contemplate often. "I am not the thought. What liberation to realize I am not the voice in my head. [or the feelings i acquire.] Who am I then? The one who sees that. The awareness prior to the thought, the space in which the thought- or the emotion or sense perception, happens."

So if I am not my home, my religion, my gender, my many things that I do and act by every day, but I am the thought preceeding those things, the wisdom of "Garnish thy thoughts unceasingly" becomes very valuable. And to shed the tendency to covet, and judge others, I have tried to give more weight to the thought of it first, and turn those thoughts into admiration for that person's hard work or sacrifices that gave them acquisitions of which I might tend to covet.

In everything of this world, there is a spiritual and a physical element. The tangible, and the ethereal. The creation, and the birth. In physical birth, there is a transition period before something comes from the spiritual world, into this world. Much like the dark and the light, the greatest stillness and silence in the world is in the darkest part right before the dawn. The calm before storms. The thought preceeding the reaction or the identification. That is where spirit speaks, where God lives.

And it all came back around for me when I read in Exodus, as Moses spake to God, and God told him to tell the children of Israel that he would deliver them out of Egypt. Moses asked God "What is his name [who sends Moses] what shall I say to them?" "And God said unto Moses I AM THAT I AM, and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you."

His name is his nature, he is omnipresent. In all things, the beginning AND the end, no time or identification of any one thing, he is eternal. Jesus Christ taught "At that day ye shall know that I am in my father, and ye in me, and I in you." (John 14:20)



The place of my origination is stillness, from which all creation originates. -Wayne Dyer

6 comments:

Supershepherds said...

Provocative.

proudmama said...

I've come to appreciate that in learning more of who our creator is, we also learn something of ourselves, and vice versa. I love Wayne Dyers analogy.. if you have an apple pie (favorite) and you remove a piece of the pie, however far you move it away from the source, it doesn't change what it is or where it came from, it's still apple pie, not cherry or anything else. So if I'm still a piece of apple pie (from my source), that's good enough for me. And..neither of us is complete without the other. We are His work and glory, to make us as "eternal" as He is. I guess that makes each of us pretty significant afterall.

April said...

The thought process was more than just who we are, what source we come from. But that our ego, or what we identify with is not who we are. And the name 'I am that I am' essentially sounds eternal just saying it. He is all things, in all things. HE IS. I want to be too. I want to not identify with what I have or what I do, but identify with that ethereal stillness that is not seen, the place where all creation begins is thought, and that is where God speaks.So to liken myself to God, who Jesus Christ is in the Father, and in me, I need to work more on those moments of my thoughts and the power they have to shape my eternalness for what it will be.

Miranda said...

OH my goodness! I love stuff like this. I just finished a sociology class that actually talked about this very thing. That everything about who we are and how we do things [can] be socially structured. My professor believed that everything is structured that way, but as a member of the church, I know that Jesus Christ can change the natural man. I am not selling these books back to the school because I loved them so much. I think you would be extremely interested. They're not your normal text books. One is how sociologist study and their beliefs behind their methods. The other is a case study book thats extremely interesting. I'll Bring it to home ward and let you look at it to see if you would like to borrow it. So just let me know if you might be at least a little interested. If not, its okay.

April said...

Miranda, that would be amazing, thank you! I love sociology, when people ask me what I do, like if they want to know if I'm 'just a mom' (haha!) I say that I am 'Vice president of the Moore sociological foundation." Because what I do here regarding sociology will shape the future of human beings, and communities they belong to for generations.

proudmama said...

Well said, both of you... and thank you Miranda for the reminder that we are to overcome the natural man, and the only true way to do that is through Jesus Christ. People may not be able to change the true core of who they are, but Christ can. How blessed are the children of God that there is a true power to make effective needed change in our lives.