Monday, November 10, 2008

Say what?

Right before Max was born, I bought a program called "Dunstan Baby Language" that is based on a world wide study of newborns, and the sounds that they all make around the world.

There are five sounds they all make starting at birth, no matter what language the birth parents speak. It's because of a reflex in the baby that causes them to make a sound when they make noise as they are crying or reacting to a need.

Like a hiccup... they all sound the same, right? Or a sneeze. It's a reflex, and the baby makes noises along with it, occuring with the same sound.

So I had James sit down and watch it with me the week after Max was born, so that he could feel more confident in taking care of the baby's needs.

Yesterday we're getting ready for church, and Max was upset. James was taking care of him so I could finish getting ready... and he remembered the sounds that we learned, so he listened.

He said "It sounds like he's saying 'eh, eh.' What was that? To be burped?" So he put Max on his shoulder, patted and rocked him for a few minutes. He didn't stop after just a couple pats and give up saying "well, he didn't burp." He rubbed him for a few minutes. And lo and behold, a big ol' burp finally came out, and Max settled right down and fell asleep!

It was so nice not to hear James say "I don't know what is wrong, he's not calming down." James DID know what was wrong, even though 95% of the time he isn't here taking care of Max. Now thinking back on how difficult of a baby that Maren was, and the endless hours that we tried burping or rocking or nursing, I wonder what she was saying all along? It probably wasn't one of the 5 sounds though- it was probably an ornry "Reeeaaar" instead!

Watch this video, it's so awesome! First time moms, or multiple time around like me, it's so helpful, I love it!

2 comments:

Ivy said...

I remember seeing that on Oprah. I thought it was interresting. Too bad I never saw it when my babies were babies though :( I could have avoided a lot of crying from both the baby and myself!

Lisa M said...

I loved the post very interesting. Wish I knew it when I had a baby. I posted it on my blog to share.