Monday, September 01, 2008

Bu-Bye James

It has been a crazy week for him at work!

As most of you know, he does disaster and emergency type of services. If your septic tank explodes, a tree falls on your roof, or a pipe bursts and floods your homes, James is there. His responsibilities range from sludging out the nasties from your exploded toilet, ripping down walls, or just cleaning the carpets. It's the nastiest, manliest job ever. And last week he came home smelling like a hay ride- the horse and all. P.U.

But it's the happiest he's ever been career wise in his life so far, and that includes working for himself for far less hours a week. But because it's a job that includes emergency services- when they gotta go they gotta go, and sometimes there ain't no comin home until the weather improves and the insurance damages stop rolling in.

It started on Sunday for James getting called out to a job that had him gone for 11 hours that day. After that, he was lucky to get 4 hours of sleep at night before getting up and starting it all over again. Friday night he finally crawled in bed at 3 AM. I had just changed the sheets that day, and he smelled like somethin' fierce, but I didn't have the heart to complain. I just changed the sheets again the next day.

We finally got to enjoy a dinner with James last night, for once I didn't fuss about the total on the bill, because the kids went almost the entire week without even seeing him at all, and he worked so hard. And even with the holiday today he was back out of the house at 7 AM.

So with Hurricane Gustav hitting the southern coastline of Louisiana, and Tropical Storm Hannah to the East Coast, there is a convienent high pressure system lingering to the North/West of the Carolinas, which will bring more big rain storms this week too.

*Sigh.* It was good seeing ya for dinner last night James. We should do it again. Probably next week? Hopefully not from a hospital bed after you collapse from sheer exhaustion though! In the mean time, I'll keep holding down the fort.

I'm the president of the "Single Wives Club" and anyone missing their husband is free to join. We'll talk membership dues later.

5 comments:

Christa said...

Aww, I can't wait for that life...haha. If thyey need any help just let Chase know, he's going to be calling James today anyway, he foregot to give yo his Job Aplication in all the shuffle of yesterday.

Ivy said...

I'm sorry he's gone so much. I thought I knew what it was like to have my husband gone so much between work and helping his parents - but now after reading your post, I'm changing my mind. I don't envy your sitation, but I do envy your paychecks a bit ;) I hope things slow down for you guys soon.

4torock said...

Did I just read Christa saying.... u WANT this-- :) lol Just kidding- can't wait to meet you!! I'll join the club but you have way more hours than I do-- I did pay my dues a few years back though so I am soooo understanding, but still no fun!! Maybe we (wives) should do a dinner playdate since this is the best part of the day when daddy is gone (LOL)????

April said...

I know you can sympathize Kate, your hubby is gone when it's crazy like this too! I'm sorry about your white water rafting trip :(

Robinsonfam said...

I am so needing to join that club. It is really hard trying to raise the kids and support your spouse....they are only trying to provide for the fam, but it feels like you are doing all the stressful work at home, especially at the end of pregnancy or with a newborn. Hey, I am always here and Ryans always gone, wanna hang out let me know!