Tuesday, September 02, 2008

A fakeout!

I went to the bank today to get some cash out of our checking account, and I hate that all the bills are printed differently than the older ones. I always feel like they're fake.

So I always hold them up to the light to be sure. If you do that, you see a little clear strip running vertically down the bill, that's how the machines tell if you're putting in a $5, $10, etc. It reads that strip. Fake ones don't have that.

Today I had gotten a couple $100 bills, and one of them was different than the others, so as usual, I check it. Hmm... no strip.

I asked the teller who just passed me my cash "How do you tell if the bill is fake? This one looks weird." She says they can tell, and asked me to pass it back through the drive-up slot.

She holds it up to the light... hmm... she's confused. She calls someone else over and he does the same. Then they take out a black marker and make a line on it.

IT WAS A TOTAL FAKE $100 BILL!!

From the bank!

I'm glad I never pull away before counting my cash. And I'm glad that I had asked instead of assumed "oh well, it's from the bank, it must be legit." I would have been out $100 because stores always check them before accepting them. I couldn't believe it!

3 comments:

Chelsee said...

Oh man that was close. I wish I had a $100 bill to check.

Ivy said...

I agree with your friend Chelsee - I wish I had a $100 bill to check too.

I guess it's a good habit to form, checking your cash - even if you are getting it from the bank. I guess I'll have to teach my kids how to do it now too, since they are the ones that handle all of our drive through transactions :)

April said...

I wish I could spend it too. It was for property taxes that are due :(