If I got to look through a catelog of trials that I have to go through in my life, you know, as building character, I would never have chosen the ones I'm facing right now. We never really do know what we can handle... until we do. And we never know the graces that fall on us to help us make it through them, until they embrace us with their grace.
James is in for his second stay in the hospital in two weeks. He went in by ambulance Sunday almost two weeks ago for excruciating abdominal pain. He thought it was kidney (renal colic) again, but it progressed to be much worse, and we worried about pain medication or something to that nature. Nope. Divurticulitis. Which on a measurement of horrible human pain, it's up there with kidney stones and gun shot wounds. How wonderful.
After a round of poor management of his care, 3 nights stay, he left with a five day course of antibiotics and no pain medication to manage the pain. Ridiculous. Lucky for him I'm a mama bear and made sure he was taken care of. But once the 5 day course ran out, he relapsed and we took him to a different hospital this time. But, that's where he is right now, on his 3rd night stay again. But I'm not sure when he is coming home this time. He has an abscess in his bowels, amidst the infection, and that's why he relapsed. If it doesn't clear out, then it's invasive surgery leaving him with a lovely hand bag to carry around (colostomy bag.) If it does clear out, then the surgery will be laperoscopically done in a week or two when the inflammation has reduced, much better for James. But we still don't know.
The only picture that I took during his first stay was this one, of his right hand totally swollen. His IV line had infiltrated his skin, and was pooling up with fluid for 4 days. The nurses wouldn't change it though, because it was a hassle for them to do so, if the medication was still getting in. Nice. And painful.
The wonderful women at church have been amazing at helping my family out right now. Not only is my husband in the hospital, I'm also 13 weeks pregnant and siiiiiick more evenings than not. James was the dinner guy, and now James is not here. It's been hard. But many people have stepped in and brought us in meals, which I am beyond grateful for. Saying "I need help" are three hard words, but I'm learning, and humbled. And what a better comforting gift to bring to someone with a bowel infection, than a huge basket full of all sorts of fruit! Amazing! That gesture made me cry every time I looked at the selections each time I made James a bowl full of something to eat.
They have surrounded me like an army of protectors, loving my children, helping with meals, watching the kids so that I can visit James at the hospital and take him a fresh supply of items to cheer him up.
And even the Relief Society President is not above indulging a toddler when he asks "Can I have a horsey ride?" It felt good to laugh!
The house is quiet after a hard day. My stomach isn't lurching as much for a while (because I'm eating...again...I'm going to be huge with this baby and I just don't care right now.) And I am missing my husband like crazy.
I'm 13 weeks pregnant, sick most days, working through comforting my children with their anxieties, husband has been sick for 2 weeks now in 2 different hospitals, and I haven't allowed myself many times to just sit down and cry. But tonight, boy howdy, I sure had a good cry fest after talking to my mom about my emotional wrestling about the kids schooling. But what triggered my cry fest? A pregnancy craving that I can't ask my dear sweet husband to bring me, or be here with the children while I go get it myself. I'm pathetic right?
Here's an update on some of the other things going on in our lives with the teenager.
And stay tuned for news about our puppy. Yes, as if I didn't have enough stress, you're probably thinking I'm crazy. I don't disagree!
Friday, September 09, 2011
Amazing Graces
Posted by April at 9:46 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
You know we all love you dearly! Keep us posted and hang in there! We'll get through this together ;)
A quote that I read and thought of you
"People cry not because they are weak but because they have been strong for too long"
Love you so very much Miss April
Post a Comment