Friday, December 05, 2008

What's that smell?

We're home!!

And something tragic happened :( Lol.. okay, bear with me here.

One of James's tasks while I was out of town was to feed the fish. There was just one fish, the other one had died the week before we left and I hadn't gotten the replica yet so that the kids wouldn't know. (They had fish once before, and saw them die, which as traumatic for them. So now, I'll buy a replica before I see their hearts break like that again this young!)

So after James picked us up from the airport, we ran by the house to get his work vehicle, and then went on our way to a hotel. The house wasn't finished being repaired yet, but I wanted to see what James had painted, so we went inside.

I noticed the fish net inside the fish bowl on the counter, but no fish inside the bowl. I assumed that the fish had died, and I didn't say anything to James right then because the kids would have gotten upset.

Maren was running around outside finding 'treasures' of random things from the yard, and brought an armful of items in the house. She grabbed a cup of water from the counter, dumped it into the sink, and then went to fill it up from the fridge. My first thought was that it was a dirty cup from who knows when James might have cleaned the dishes with me being gone. (Let's be honest, he's less than stellar at cleaning while I"m out of town.) But then I realized that she was using it for her yard treasures, and I didn't say anything about it.

So the next day Maren and I went by the house while Kellan was in preschool, to gather up a few things for James. I washed my hands in the kitchen sink and thought "Ugh, what's that smell?" So I looked in the sink, and there was a dead fish right there.

First thing I did was send James a message saying how disgusting he was to just scoop a dead fish out, leave the net, and throw the dead fish into the sink instead of actually taking care of it.

Uh, no. That isn't what happened. He had put it in a cup of water by the sink to clean the bowl, and had gotten an emergency page, so he left. And in came Maren, looking for a cup for her treasures, and dumped the cup of water... fish and all.

My 4 year old is a fish killer!

3 comments:

Greg said...

well, at least she's an adorable and quite fashionably dressed fish killer.

Chelsee said...

I killed my fish when I was little and have not been the same since. I hope she deals with it better than I did. :)Sorry all I was able to do on Sunday was smile at ya glad you are back.

Ivy said...

If I would have known what a talent she had for this, I would have had her do this to my fish before you guys went home! This stinkin 25 cent gold fish we bought two days after christmas 4 YEARS AGO is still kickin! Ok, still swimming, fish can't really kick.

I don't think I want fish anymore after this one dies....if he ever dies!