Friday, December 12, 2008

Damsel in distress

That's what I feel like these days. I've had a doozy of a time the last 5 weeks or so!

Our Chevy tahoe broke down 5 weeks ago, a gear blew clear out of the back of the car, leaving me stranded right after dropping Maren off at preschool. I'm thankful to the wonderful stranger who attends the Bethlehem methodist church where they go to preschool, she gave me a ride home that day.

Then as you all know, my house flooded because water got left on while I was going to pick Maren up from preschool and run some errands 4 weeks ago.

Today, I got stuck in the mud after picking Maren up from preschool... and I mean stuck!

Usually she buckles up as she gets into the van, but she got distracted while talking to Kellan, I pulled out on the main road and she yells "I'm not buckled!"

I would have just said "Well buckle up!" But at the same time, my van made some sputtering, the 'check engine' light has been on all week, so I decided to just pull over... not my best idea ever. Because it had rained so much, the shoulder was sooo soft and muddy, my van just got sucked right down, and slid into the ditch, I couldn't even budge an inch! I was sunk half way up my tire in the mud.

The director of the preschool drove by after about 25 minutes of sitting there, and offered to give us a ride home because she had a mini van that would fit all 3 of my kids. But at that same time, a very awesome stranger pulled over in a huge truck, and had a towing strap, and he pulled me right out of the mud!

I had called James when I realized that I was stuck, and he was going to come pull me out. He stopped to buy a chain, and was on his way, so we made ourselves comfortable to wait an hour. Luckily we didn't have to!

I asked the man if I could repay him in anyway, I was sooo thankful, and he said "If I didn't stop, my wife would have beat my hide!" Well, thank you for your generosity, I was very grateful :)

3 comments:

Robinsonfam said...

Girl, I feel ya!!!! When it rains it POURS, literally. I hope things get better. We have had a couple weeks from you know where. One thing I love about you is, you are REAL! No sugar coating:)

proudmama said...

One thing you have plenty of there is dirt shoulders so I'm sure you'll keep that in mind next time you have to pull over and it has rained..,good that some of that southern gentleman stuff still remains.

Ivy said...

Yeah, I don't have any comforting words for you on this one, sorry sis. Life is life, and it looks like you handled this situation well.

It reminded me of the time Jimmy Buffet pulled over to help me change my flat tire along the free way. Ok, maybe it wasn't really THE Jimmy Buffet, but he sure looked like him! My point being I guess, there are still good people that are there when we need them most. Even if one is threatened by his wife to pull over and help or else receive a good beating!

I hope things slow down for you sis. Tell James and the kids we say hi.