Monday, February 13, 2012

Soothing dry winter skin

Growing up in a mountain desert, I never had a problem with dry skin as I do now living in a state that is much more humid! But winter gets me every year. My hands will crack, my face is tight and tired looking. Until I take a venture to my kitchen and whip up this little miracle.




Anti aging, moisturizing sugar scrub.




A warning for you though- the ingredients used in it sound like a high calorie snack. And it smells amazing too, you might eat a spoonful of it while in the shower. You totally could!

Here's what you'll need:

-A pint size mason jar (because once you use it anywhere on your body, you'll want to slather yourself from head to toe. And often. You'll feel amazing!)

-extra virgin olive oil, or pure coconut oil (I prefer olive, much more nourishing to the skin)

-used, dry coffee grounds

-brown sugar

-honey

-essential oils or aromatherapy oils (pick your favorite scent.)






Why used coffee grounds? Look at the ingredients on any anti aging beauty product. It lists caffeine. It tightens and rejuvenates the skin. Used grounds are less abrasive, have already been steeped, and won't absorb the oil from your scrub hogging all the good stuff to itself. Don't drink coffee? Ask a neighbor to save you some the next time they make some coffee.




Fill the rest of your jar with brown sugar. Don't pack it, you're not making cookie dough. Though you might be so inspired to after you finish the rest of the recipe.




Add 2 oz of extra virgin olive oil, or coconut oil. Like I mentioned before, I prefer olive, it absorbs amazingly into the skin and contributes to a great glow. I've tried coconut oil, and it seemed to leave me wanting for more moisture after a bit.


Next, 2 table spoons of honey (not pictured, I don't know why I forgot it, then my phone rebooted itself, and my pregnant brain forgot to retake a picture before I mixed it all up and put it away!) Honey helps your skin hold in moisture, nourishes your tired cells, and soothes acne too.


Add 15-20 drops of your favorite essential oil. I love jasmine or lavender. I've also zested an orange for a 'pick me up' energizing scent instead of an essential oil. Sandlewood is calming. Eucalyptus essential oil in a sugar scrub is great when you've got the body aches with a seasonal sickness and want a hot bath. Get creative!




Now keep in mind, these are perishable ingredients from your kitchen. No preservatives. It will eventually turn on ya, but I've had a jar become forgotten in the summer months and still just as fresh as the day I made it when I found it again that winter.


I promise you'll be glad that you made this, saved your wallet a fortune on beauty products. And just try to resist rubbing your skin, it is amazing what a few kitchen products can do to make you feel like you would after an hour at a salon where they peel off a few layers of old, tired skin. If you try it, let me know what you think!






0 comments: