Maren has been looking forward to her baptism day since she first saw her friend Makenna baptized 2 years ago. And she has talked about how she "wanted it to be" as if it were her wedding. Complete with flowers around the room, and music when she walked in. We had to tone it down a bit ;)
It was a beautiful program. (I don't recall having a program when I was baptized...but that was a looong time ago.) My brother and his family came in to town the week before, so my sister in law Vennis played the piano for the program. My brother, Josh, gave a talk directed mostly to Maren about the covenants that baptism is done for, and Makenna gave a talk about the Holy Ghost. I loved that Makenna was willing to do that, coming from a wise member of the senior primary was an awesome example to Maren.
I had a lot of helpers to get this done, and I am so so grateful for them. Between my scattered pregnancy brain, and everything we tried to jam into this week, I sure needed them. My friend Allison (the primary president) remembered so many details that I didn't think of. Like printing off the song lyrics for the primary song, since we had many people who were not members of our church that came to support Maren making this important choice.
I did manage to remember one picture of her and James in their Elvis jumpsuits ;) And completely forgot to take one of her in her beautiful dress that my mom bought for her special day.
But... we had a baptism: take two, on Sunday, so I got another chance to take her picture!
Yes, we had to redo the baptizing. Maren had so many mixed feelings, most of them involved getting back into frigid water. (She will probably start a movement to get the pump fixed for the hot water for the font, she was very motivated.)
For people that aren't members of the LDS church, the wording in ordinances are very specific. Nothing else is done from repetition, unless it is an ordinance. The revelation for baptism was given a specific way to the Prophet Joseph Smith, so it is performed to that same specification, for those ordinances to be recorded in Heaven as well as what we record on earth. There are two witnesses to ordinances, and for baptism they have two jobs: to make sure the person is fully immersed in the water, and that the words were right.
James baptized Maren, and he messed up part of the words. Where he should have said "Holy Ghost" he said "Holy Spirit." And they didn't realize. They nodded that it was done right, and James and Maren got out of the baptism font. But a few people pointed it out to them, and the two missionaries that stood as witnesses said "Oh, it's ok. It's the same." But it isn't.
Our Bishop didn't hear it, he only saw that they nodded approval of the ordinance being done correctly, and went on with the momentum for the rest of the program. Maren was supposed to be confirmed and given the gift of the Holy Ghost today in Sacrament meeting, but the Bishop stopped us outside to talk first.
He told us that he just could not sleep last night. He was restless, and his mind kept going back to the baptism prayer that James said, so he pulled out his scriptures and read the revelation, then realized that James had said "Holy Spirit." He woke his wife up early this morning in tears, letting her know how powerful the spirit was testifying to him all night long that Maren's baptism was not done correctly, and how important it is for her that it be done right.
I know that God is understanding of the errors of Man, but it was a testimony of the power that the Holy Ghost has, which is significant for baptism in that the gift is confirmed on the person after baptism. Every person who was present received a witness in this event that the Holy Ghost does speak to us for our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ, and that ordinances are important for us, and we are very important to him. I know that Heavenly Father wanted it to be done right for Maren, and I am grateful for the Bishop in listening to that nudge keeping him awake all night.
So today, after our ward potluck following the meetings, the baptism ordinance was redone and then the confirmation was able to take place. It was a beautiful blessing, and a powerful meeting filled with such a strong spirit. Even though at first it seemed an inconvenience to redo it, and I'm not going to lie- my first thought was to say "Are you sure he messed up? Do we have to really do it again?" The events of the day, and the testimony shared by the Bishop confirmed in my heart that it all occured in the way that it had for a very special purpose. And I am grateful to witness the spirit testifying to us today of its importance.
I'm so proud of Maren for making the choice that she did. She has shown today that she understands as much as she can, the significance of her choice, and I can see her already taking on that responsibility to keep her part of the covenant that she made. I hope she always has that spark throughout her life. She is an amazing little girl!


2 comments:
I bawled watching the video. It so captured her. She is an amazing little girl and she has excellent parents dedicated to the raising of their children before the Lord. I'm proud of all of you. What a wonderful witness you all received in the ordinance of baptism. Love you all.
So beautiful!!! What a special girl you have!
Post a Comment