Saturday, September 04, 2010

It all is just small stuff

This week has been so cram packed full of figuring out new schedules, new routines, and how to fit all the pieces of life into the jar, it didn't go off perfectly smooth- but we're working on ironing out the wrinkles.

One of the hectic days was Thursday. Kellan's ballet class was supposed to start at 2:30, and Maren wanted a day with her Grammy, so I drop her off and head to take Kellan, only to find out that the teacher needed to cancel, and could I bring Kellan back at 6:00 that day?

Um,well I was going to go grocery shopping while Maren was with Grammy, I was hoping to actually cook dinner that week (one of the things I slacked on with all the new schedules! I know, so not-April.) But, ok- a quick refiguring. Maren stayed longer at Grammy's, grocery shopping first, Panera Bread for dinner- then out of the way to take groceries home- and out of the way to drive back again to ballet. This notion to move to a new place is strikingly stronger every time I have to drive anywhere!

So while rushing through the grocery store, I was letting Kellan help get items he knows we buy while I'm getting others. He was getting a jar of applesauce... you can see what's coming... yes, he dropped the glass jar, and let me tell ya, it was impressive how far it splashed all over the aisle! But he got so upset, and worried that he would have to go to jail (what am I teaching him?) so he was hysterically crying and scared. Took a while to reassure him it was ok, no one was mad.

Then rush home to put groceries away, where I fumble with the egg carton and drop 4 eggs all over my floor. Do you know how many paper towels I had to use to clean up that mess? Then wash my floor? I felt less-than-eco friendly.

But while I was on my hands and knees, I tried to keep the perspective of a favorite book I have. "Don't sweat the small stuff- and it is all just small stuff." When I have the tendency to start cursing the heavens for the rotten things, I just think that it will not matter in any way to the quality of my life the next day. So instead, while cleaning up the eggs, when I was already running late, I was struck with the thought that maybe what I think was an inconvenience to my already busy life was really a blessing, keeping me out of the wrong place at the wrong time for something else.

Then I got an email about the events of 9/11, you know the one, that talks about the woman who wasn't killed in the towers because her alarm didn't go off in time for work, or the man who stopped at the drugstore to buy a bandaid because his new shoes gave him a blister, or the person who's turn it was to buy donuts... so maybe my life isn't going to be affected in such a traumatic way- I'm not trying to be dramatic here- but I'm just saying, I won't curse about eggs dropping all over my floor, or my child hysterically upset about the broken jar of apple sauce. I will try to be present in every situation that I'm in, because I'm meant to be there, I'm already in it, so give my attention to the situation until it's resolved, and welcome the next situation.

"In the name of God, stop a moment, cease your work, and look around you." -Leo Tolstoy


3 comments:

Carrie said...

This is a great post! I am working on not sweating the small stuff too...Working on it one small baby step at a time! I tried to call you and then realized I didn't save your new number (I swear I did...but I guess I didn't do it correctly!). E-mail me your new number please!!! I want to talk home schooling with you....

Supershepherds said...

Remember when Christ needed a coin for the taxes and they found one in the fish? I always think of a man who must have lost his day's wage in the sea and had to go home and tell his wife. Bummer day for him...Miracle for the rest of us to learn from. You just never know. Sorry it was a rough day.

4torock said...

LOVE it!!! and LOVE you too:D I too need to learn that lesson… not to sweat the small stuff…. so hard to do!! xoxo