In honor of Earth Day. And as Maren pointed out "Every day is Earth day."
I'm always amazed at how much of what I try to teach actually sinks in to my children. I've tried to live my life very accountable for the way I live it according to how it will affect the earth, to the creatures man is given dominion over, and to my children's most of all. And I love love love it when I hear them use words like "fiber" or "biodegradable."
We were driving down a road a few days ago where workers were cutting down trees and putting them through a chipper for mulch. It's a few acres of pine trees that is farmed for that purpose. We have pine chip mulch all around the landscaping of our own yard even. But two and two finally came together for Maren seeing it in action, and she became down right ANGRY at the men! She was very animated telling me "They aren't supposed to do that! Those trees are still alive!"
All I could say was "You're right." I tried to talk to her about how many things we use trees for. And if we use them, we should plant more, because she knew that's what makes oxygen, and homes for animals, and more. But she wasn't having any of it! So I said to her "Maybe someday you'll grow up and have a job that you protect things on our Earth that other people don't. Like the trees." She of course agreed, and said very defiantly "When I'm old enough, I'll go to college and have a job to save trees, and I'll tell those men they can't do that!"
Ahhhh, my little tree hugger.
She had a bad experience with a caterpiller that was bleeding, and hadn't held any bugs since for a long time, but she's getting back on the horse when it comes to that now. She's constantly bringing me earthworms, potato bugs, slugs, butterflies, and even...
... a baby mouse last week. Into my kitchen. Yes, I screamed, you don't have to ask.
I love that she is my authentic nature lover, but this was taking it a little too far.


3 comments:
out of the mouths of babes... now if only they still think that way when they are no longer babes...what awesome grownups they'll turn out to be
Yikes!
Eden loves being outside but isn't big on "nature". She's scared of all animals (unless from a distance) and shrieks and screams at ANYTHING that crawls/slithers/flies at it's own accord (unless it's on tv) until her brother comes over and "saves" her.
A mouse in the kitchen. I'd of screamed too! And probably jumped on a counter or two. :)
Post a Comment