Tuesday, September 01, 2009

First the worst

Alright, the first day 'officially' of Kindergarten arrived, and went off without a hitch. She's in love. With the bus appearantly the most. She enjoyed sitting with the neighbor boy on the bus, even holding hands into school :) awww. She played with old buddies from preschool who didn't make it into her class at K, and wasn't too impressed with the kids that ARE in her class. I'm just going to say the thing you're not supposed to say... Maren seems to have been put in the Island of misfit toys! Out of 37 kids from preschool, not a one of them are in her class! But there are 2 kids who don't speak english, one kid who has a speech impediment that you could expect for a 3 year old, but not a 6 year old. A boy peed his pants at orientation yesterday too. She's not impressed with her classmates, lol.

The 'homework' for today were things she learned when she was 3. "Count from 1-10 with your parents." Come on, really? One policy that I am NOT a fan of was the 'No Child Left Behind' act that the Bush administration created, because all it did was dumb kids down to try to bring in the ones who fall through the cracks. Which if they felt was necessary, also necessary should be a gifted and talented program for the ones who need more stimulation. There isn't an AIG program at her Elementary, I'm going to have to fight to change that.

She didn't get snack time at school today either. I didn't know we were supposed to pack snacks for school, I had packed her a lunch. She didn't eat everything, she packed it back up to save for when she got home, and her teacher threw it away. So come snack time, she could have eaten then, but had to sit there like the kid with the dunce cap on. Poor kid.

I"m just hoping this is a bit of a learning curve as school gets going. And I'm looking foward to parent-teacher conference on September 10th!!

4 comments:

Christa said...

I think the first few weeks are kind of "feeler" weeks anyway. Most parents that have kids that are older and have been through kindergarten and then have a younger one in now would say that kids are expected to know how to do alot more than they used to. I don't think things have been dumbed down...the no child left behind inforced things like tutoring and special programs like IEP, it didn't change the curriculum that is taught, it just gave kids a chance to get some special attention if needed.
Every year they add things to the requirement list for graduation that weren't there the year before. When I graduated you didn't have to take Chemistry unless you were planning on going to a 4 year college, now you have to take it, even if you aren't going to college at all.

Greg said...

They do snack time through 2nd grade I believe, but that can differ with school and teacher.
The first 1-2 weeks of school is review to see where each child is academically.
No child left behind was instituted to make the school systems accountable for making sure these children make it. Not everyone is lucky like all of our children to have parents who take such a strong initiative into their education.
Maren will do FABULOUS!!
Just enjoy the ride Mom.

Ivy said...

Things will get better! The first few weeks are always tough, especially with your first.

And the "No Child Left Behind" thing works - IF the schools and administrators are on the ball and getting the extra help for those kids who otherwise would have been left behind. HOWEVER, that is not happening in many schools across the nation, including ours here! I'm not a fan of how the program is working so far :(

Jeanie said...

That stinks. At least there are only 2 kids in her class that don't speak english. There's an average of 5 in EVERY class at my kids' school that don't. The caucasions are the minority so I understand how you feel about the "no child left behind" thing. Back to school night makes you feel like you're in a school in Mexico. I'm NOT at all prejudice, it just makes us worry that our children aren't getting the attention they need because of those children who don't know english. Anyway, I hope things get better for Marin.