Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Terrific Kid

I got a call last week, Monday evening from the guidance counselor at school. I instantly wondered if one of my kids were acting up at school. Why do I always do that? They're great kids! I never wanted to be the mom who says "oh my kids would never do that." so instead I tend to think they're guilty before proven innocent. And first thing out of the counselor's mouth is "this isn't about anything bad,"(whew! I knew that, my kids would never ;) ) ..."but I just wanted to know if you're attending the breakfast tomorrow?"

Uh, for what?

"Maren was nominated for Terrific kid in her class this month for kindness."

Really? How many times I've asked "Maren, tell me about school today." and she didn't think to say "I got the terrific kid nomination!"

It also just so happened that it coincided with Spirit Week, this particular day was "Wacky Day." And I had to take the little ones with me, which of course meant that Maxwell wanted to be wacky dressed too.

The ironic thing is that the stripes and plaid and crazy socks would be Maren's normal day choice. Maybe with matched socks, and her jacket on the right way. She is wild and eccentric, and I adore that girl. She has really stepped up with being tender and helpful with the two little ones, and has mellowed out a lot this last year. She has her moments of mood swings, but she really takes things to heart and tries to do better when she doesn't do her best. She is blooming into such a wonderful young lady.

My personal favorite dress up day for Spirit week was Western day (which replaced pajama day) these cute kids had a lot of fun participating, but really understood it was to raise money for their school so they wanted to use their own money for it. They're both Terrific kids in my book.

0 comments: